I've Always Wanted to Work at Hot Topic

My whole life I've wanted to have tattoos and piercings and neon colored hair but where I'm from, permanent things are considered "wrong."

So I simply forget about it.

It's not that important anyway.

I forget because tattoos keep you from getting a job


and piercings make you look scary


because your hair isn't meant to be unnatural colors


even if it's all just hair dye and what's the difference if it's Happy Valley Blonde or Grungy Teenager Green?

But my hair is still blonde because I want to be welcome at your house


and my skin is still clear because I want to have a job


and the only piercings I have are one in each ear because that's okay.


I simply forget

Because even if that's what I want 

It's important enough to keep me from doing it.

I don't care

And I will deny who I wish I was

Because I want to be welcome at your house

And I want to have a job

And piercings are scary

Because you won't stop giving the ones who are braver than me dirty looks

and I don't know how to cross over to their side of the water and I'm drowning in expectations

Because you won't stop telling me they're wrong

That they scare you

That it's scary

But so is hiding

5 comments:

  1. Hiding is scary, so don't. Be you. The people who judge and get scared took a first impression and ran, the people who matter stick around to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiding is scary, so don't. Be you. The people who judge and get scared took a first impression and ran, the people who matter stick around to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY I HOPE THE LINE IN MY POEM ABOUT HOT TOPIC DIDN'T OFFEND YOU I THINK YOU'RE GREAT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT DIDNT THATS ACTUALLY WHAT INSPIRED ME TO WRITE THIS ITS OK WE'RE ALL DIFFERENT MAN

      Delete
  4. "Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

    ReplyDelete