The Last Word

Well. This is it. It is exactly 10:36 PM on a Wednesday night, and tomorrow high school will be over. I keep hearing congratulations, and "You made it!" and I'm saying those things too.

But I'm not listening.

Last year around this time, I wrote a bunch of letters to all my senior friends who were leaving.

It only seems appropriate to do it again.

Ardon Smith,
Wow dude. Thank you for being my best friend. Thank you for never giving up on me, thank you for your kindness, thank you for asking me to direct a show with you. I think I can say that everything I did in high school that was worth anything was because of you. I'm so happy that we've stayed friends, and I'm even happier that it's been so easy to be your friend. Even if we are radically different. But I love you, man. Here's to the future.

It's 10:41 PM and I'm trying not to think about the future. For now, right now, I think I am technically still in high school. Tomorrow I will be someone else. Someone new.

Jordan Williams,
I love you. I've always loved you. Even if sometimes the definition of my love for you changed. You are the most thoughtful person I've met and I am so glad that somehow I got close enough to you to be your friend. And I'm glad we won't be losing touch any time soon. I'll see you tomorrow.

It's 10:43 PM and I feel too sentimental. I think I need to go to bed.

Kylie Dubois,
You probably won't read this any time soon, but you've been my best girl friend since sophomore year, even though we kind of hated each other sophomore year. Thank you for being the person whose house I can go to without knocking or warning, thank you for being the house I can always stay at if I need to, because I always wished for it. Thanks for all the lazy days.

It's 10:50 PM and I just remembered that I didn't sign anyone's yearbook, except Andralee Allen's and Mallary Gardeners. I wonder if anyone will remember me.

Jack Hoffer,
We've had some troubles with each other, and I think we might still be now, but there are a few things I want to tell you. You are a kind, intelligent, incredibly patient and optimistic person. I know I argue with you, but your optimism breathes life into my soul just as it will for all those new people you're going to meet soon. Please, while you're gone, don't forget me. Remember that no matter what I've done to you, I will always consider you to be one of the best men I have ever met in my life. You are a good man, Jack Hoffer, and you're going to make someone very happy one day.

It's 10:54 PM and my heart is starting to hurt. I'm wondering how many times I'll have to say goodbye tomorrow. How many times I've said it already.

Mr. Nelson,
You're not graduating, but I am and that's sort of the same thing. I wrote in your book today and to be honest I don't even really remember what I wrote because I was thinking about a lot of things and halfway through Jack walked in and I think you probably know more about me and Jack than we do. I know I wasn't one of your favorite blogs, and I know I was a disappointment because I wrote more (and better) when I wasn't in the class. But I still want to thank you and to let you know that you are the best teacher around for hundreds of miles, at least. Thank you for letting me board the plane to Paris and be one of the homeless.

It's 10:59 PM and I'm wondering how I can want to be friends with a teacher. That's really weird.

To Creative Writing 2,
I think I might have helped crash our boat-plane more than I helped build it, but thank you guys. I'm glad we got to be together through this class.

It's 11:01 PM and I'm thinking about the juniors. If they'll miss me.

Em Pew,
You're not a senior either, but I have to say goodbye to you too. I'll miss you. Thank you for being my friend, little elephant.

It's 11:05 PM and tomorrow I will wake up in a new chapter of my life. Honestly, I never thought I'd make it this far.

See you all on the other side.

5 comments:

  1. What an absolutely wonderful person. Thank you for being MY best friend. Here's to more good years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hailey Brooks. Thank you for having my back and for replying hi as well as initiating hi in the halls. I not only will remember you, but I'm gonna miss you more than you could imagine. this is a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been so honored in all my days
    It's like if Ben Henderson and Ramin Karimloo together handed me a four foot tall Golden Sword of Justice for saving the Emperor of the World, I'd be kind of like, "meh." Because this happened. (Plus I probably couldn't even carry that sword)

    ReplyDelete