Rule 34

This is a story about me. And you.

(It's starting to seem like my whole life is a story about me and you.)

But this is a story about me and you and how the internet told me that because of the dates of our birth,

We're "fairly compatible"

And how that's kind of stupid

But I'm starting to think it's right.

It's a story about how life here is quickly becoming a fever dream for you and how the nicest thing we said to each other all week was

"We need to stop getting mad at each other."

I was reminded the other day that it shouldn't be this difficult for me to get over you because, as the girl with the red hair reminds me

"You were never even together."

As I try to coach her through her break up.

And now I'm wondering

Are we going through a break up as well?

Not her kind of break up, but the phone kind of break up where some words turn to static and you have to ask what I said

The kind that inevitably ends in hanging up and calling again later.

Soon you'll be breaking up with me from across the country

And all I can do is get upset with you

And listen to that conversation happen again.

"... I'm sorry."

"... I'm sorry too."

"I didn't mean it."

"I know, it's okay."

"Sorry."

You see life in terms of infinity and I see life in terms of small, finite points. 

And to be honest, I think we're both wrong.

I know the internet said

"Fairly compatible"

but it lies a lot.



2 comments:

  1. the stuff about the phone and calling. mmmm. good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the stuff about the red head saying it should be easy cause you were never even together-- girl i know those words all too well.

    beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete